Chairperson: Prof. Dr. Shamim Akhtar
The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a vital part of the Faculty of Pharmacy. and actively involved in teaching and research. Department offers Pharm. D., M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses encompassing organic, inorganic physical, analytical and medicinal chemistry. All the courses have been planned in such a way that they instill the concept of variety of disciplines including Organic Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Chemo-informatics, Pharmacology and Physiology related to drug discovery and drug designing.
The department is dedicated in providing firm groundings in the field of drug designing, stability, method development, validation and quality control. Curriculum also focuses on laboratory experience supported by an excellent teaching and infrastructure.
Over the past five decades this department have been fortunate enough to have a number of eminent and senior professors, among these 3 professors served as Dean of the Faculty. It is an honour that one of the Vice Chancellor of Karachi University, Professor Dr. Z.S. Saify belongs to this department.
At present, there are 11 full-time faculty members among them, 9 are PhD degree holders and out of which 2 are HEC recognized supervisors. Faculty members are actively engaged in research studies related to different fields of drug designing like synthesis of biologically active compounds, physicochemical studies of novel drug molecules, Targeted synthesis by computer aided drug designing, drug interaction studies, method development, stability and validation studies.
This department has the prestige of producing the first Ph.D. of Faculty. Moreover, 45 Ph.D., 69 M. Phil. and 54 M. Pharm. degrees have been awarded till to date and a number of scholars are pursuing their research work.
The department not only believes but also is striving to provide standard education with professional and personal grooming to the future Pharmacists.
- Providing firm groundings in the field of drug designing, stability, method development, validation and quality control.
- Laboratory experience supported by an excellent teaching staff.
- Offering standard education with professional and personal grooming to the future Pharmacists.
The main focus of the department is to:
- Improve knowledge and skills of graduate and post graduate in the related topics.
- Inculcate decision making power and confidence of students.
- Progress in their respective field like industry, hospitals, teaching and research